Onion and Black Garlic Soup with Cider
- 50g butter
- 900g onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 200 ml cider
- 3 cloves of black garlic – finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the finely sliced onions, sugar and the leaves from 3 sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Cook uncovered over a low heat, stirring every so often. This can take up to 40 minutes, until the onions are soft and caramel in colour.
- Add the finely sliced black garlic and stir in, season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the cider into the pan and simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir in the stock and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes until the onions are soft and tender.
- Season to taste.