Black Garlic and Tomato Sauce
- This versatile recipe provides and ideal base for a variety of pasta dishes and pizza bases. Or it can be served with chicken or fish.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 carrot very finely diced
- 1 onion very finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery very finely chopped
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of peeled black garlic
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of caster sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- Pour the olive oil into a large pan. Heat until hot. Add the carrot, onion and celery and sweat until soft but not coloured.
- Crush the black garlic cloves and add to the vegetables.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the tomato puree and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour on a very low heat. If the sauce is too thick add a little hot vegetable stock.
- Check for seasoning and then add sugar to taste.